- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons grated Key lime zest
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh Key lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 whole graham crackers, broken into pieces
- 1/4 cup sweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups very cold whipping cream
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut cream (recommended: Coco Lopez)
- 2 heaping tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut, lightly toasted, for garnish
For the pie: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Whisk together the yolks, zest, condensed milk, lime juice, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth and thickened, about 2 minutes. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Combine the graham crackers, coconut, and sugar in a food processor and process into fine crumbs. Add the butter and process until the mixture just comes together. Pat onto the bottom and sides of a 9-inch glass pie plate. Place on a baking sheet and bake until lightly golden brown and firm, about 10 minutes.
Add the thickened filling to the warm crust, return to the oven, and bake the pie until the center is firm but jiggles slightly when shaken, about 15 minutes. Remove and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover the surface and refrigerate until chilled and set, about 3 hours.
For the whipped cream: Combine the whipping cream, coconut cream, sugar, and vanilla bean seeds in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whip until soft peaks form.
To serve: Mound the coconut whipped cream on top and sprinkle with toasted coconut.