New York Street Cart Dogs with Onion Sauce and Grilled Red Pepper Relish
- Onion Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Grilled Pepper Relish:
- 6 cloves roasted garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 grilled red peppers, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus leaves for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grilled Hot Dogs:
- 8 all-beef kosher hot dogs
- Canola oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Soft poppy seed or regular hot dog buns
- Dijon mustard
For the onion sauce: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chile powder and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute. Add 1 cup water, the ketchup, hot sauce, salt and black pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened and the onions are very soft, adding more water if needed, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature before serving.
For the grilled pepper relish: Combine the garlic, peppers, oil, vinegar and parsley in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Cover and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.
For the hot dogs: Heat a grill to high for direct grilling. Brush the dogs with oil and sprinkle with pepper. Grill until slightly charred and golden brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Put the hot dogs in the buns and top with mustard, onion sauce and grilled pepper relish.
More Recipes and Ideas:
New York Deli Dogs, Grilled New York Strip Steak with Fire Roasted Salsa and Grilled Mushrooms and Asparagus, New York Breakfast, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Beef Wellington Recipes, Grilled Vegetable Recipes, Baked Chicken Recipes, Salisbury Steak Recipes, Chicken Breast Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.