New York Street Cart Dogs with Onion Sauce and Grilled Red Pepper Relish
- Onion Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Grilled Pepper Relish:
- 6 cloves roasted garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 grilled red peppers, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus leaves for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grilled Hot Dogs:
- 8 all-beef kosher hot dogs
- Canola oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Soft poppy seed or regular hot dog buns
- Dijon mustard
For the onion sauce: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chile powder and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute. Add 1 cup water, the ketchup, hot sauce, salt and black pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened and the onions are very soft, adding more water if needed, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature before serving.
For the grilled pepper relish: Combine the garlic, peppers, oil, vinegar and parsley in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Cover and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.
For the hot dogs: Heat a grill to high for direct grilling. Brush the dogs with oil and sprinkle with pepper. Grill until slightly charred and golden brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Put the hot dogs in the buns and top with mustard, onion sauce and grilled pepper relish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.