- 1 (3 rib) roast, about 5 pounds, rimmed of excess but not all fat
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bring meat to room temperature by removing it from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before roasting. Using a paring knife, poke small holes in the meat and insert the garlic into them. Season the meat with salt and pepper to taste. Place the roast in a large roasting pan, bone side down. Roast for 15 minutes. Turn the heat down to 350 degrees and continue to roast for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes for medium-rare doneness. Remove meat to a carving board and let rest. Place roasting pan on top of stove over high heat. Add the wine and cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits and reduce. Add stock and reduce by half, season with salt and pepper. Slice beef and drizzle with some of the sauce.
Blue Cheese Dip:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups hot milk
- 1 1/2 cups cabrales blue cheese, crumbled
- Dash cayenne pepper
Potatoes: Slice the potatoes and cut them into 1/8-inch slices. Then cut the slices into long strips 1/8-inch wide. Heat oil to 375 degrees F. Add them in batches, separating them when they hit the oil. Fry until golden brown, remove and drain on paper towels and salt liberally.
Dip: Heat butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Whisk in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the hot milk and cook until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the blue cheese and cook until the cheese has melted. Season with cayenne and salt. Pour into ramekins and serve with the fries
- 2 zucchini, cut on bias into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 yellow squash, cut on bias into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 red peppers, seeded, stemmed, and cut into 4 pieces
- 2 yellow peppers, seeded, stemmed, and cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Toss vegetables with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill until tender.