Red Chile-Cranberry Gravy
- 2 ancho chile pods, stems removed
- 1 New Mexico chile pod, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large shallots, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup Port
- 4 cups enriched homemade chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries, gently crushed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
Place the chiles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let chiles sit until softened, at least 30 minutes. Place the chiles in a blender with 1/4 cup of the soaking liquid and blend until smooth.
Heat the butter and oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the shallots and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the wine and port and cook until completely reduced. Add the stock, chile puree and brown sugar, bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half. Add the cranberries and cook until the sauce is reduced to a sauce consistency and the cranberries have popped and are soft. Remove from the heat, and add the blackberries, parsley, sage, and salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.