Veal Chops Stuffed with Fontina, Pancetta, and Porcinis and served with Braised Peas and Carrots
- 4 (10-ounce) veal chops, bone in
- 8 thin slices Fontina
- 4 slices thinly sliced pancetta
- Sauteed mushrooms, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup veal or chicken stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Sauteed Mushrooms:
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms soaked in hot water for 30 minutes and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Braised Peas and Carrots:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut on the bias into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed or fresh peas
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan until almost smoking. Sear the chops on both sides until golden brown. Place them in the oven and continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes for medium doneness. Remove the chops to a plate.
Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan and place over high heat on the stove. Add the shallot and cook until soft. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the stock and cook until reduced by half. Add the fresh thyme and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place the chops on a plate and pour the sauce over.Sauteed Mushrooms:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Slice the mushrooms into 1/4-inch thick slices. Heat the oil in a large saute pan until almost smoking. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown. Add the garlic and thyme and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Set aside and let cool.Braised Peas and Carrots:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and garlic and cook until the carrots are slightly softened. Add the stock and thyme, cover the pan and bring to a simmer. Place the carrots in the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes, add peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay