- 8 ounces (225 grams) freshly cooked potatoes
- 8 ounces (225 grams) peeled raw potatoes
- 8 ounces (225 grams/ generous 1 1/2 cups) white flour
- 1/4 American teaspoon baking powder (1/2 Irish teaspoon bread soda), sifted *see note
- 8 to 12 fluid ounces (225 to 300 millileters/1 to 1 1/2 cups) buttermilk
- Pinch salt (optional)
- Butter, for frying
- *Note: an Irish tablespoon is the same quantity as an American tablespoon plus a teaspoon
Peel the cooked potatoes while they are still hot, drop into a bowl and mash immediately. Grate the raw potatoes, add to the mashed potatoes with the flour and sifted bread soda. Mix well, and add enough buttermilk to make a stiff batter.
Note: This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Darina Allen
Recipe courtesy of Patrick and Gina Neely