Butternut Squash Posole
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 15 -ounce can no-salt-added tomato puree
- 2 15 -ounce cans hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced
- Fresh salsa, for topping (optional)
- Tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the chili powder. Add the squash, poblano, oregano, cumin, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the poblano softens slightly, about5 minutes. Add 5 cups water, the tomato puree and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes, adding the hominy during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
Season the posole with salt and divide among bowls. Top with the avocado and salsa and sprinkle with oregano. Serve with chips.
Per serving: Calories 415; Fat 16 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 1,451 mg; Carbohydrate 76 g; Fiber 17 g; Protein 9 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Amaretti Cookies, Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Paneer (Indian Cheese) Croutons and Turmeric Oil, Butternut Squash Tamales, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Soup Recipes, Potato Soup Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Carrot Soup Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes