Butternut Squash Posole
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 15 -ounce can no-salt-added tomato puree
- 2 15 -ounce cans hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced
- Fresh salsa, for topping (optional)
- Tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the chili powder. Add the squash, poblano, oregano, cumin, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the poblano softens slightly, about5 minutes. Add 5 cups water, the tomato puree and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes, adding the hominy during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
Season the posole with salt and divide among bowls. Top with the avocado and salsa and sprinkle with oregano. Serve with chips.
Per serving: Calories 415; Fat 16 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 1,451 mg; Carbohydrate 76 g; Fiber 17 g; Protein 9 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Butternut Squash Spaetzle, Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Paneer (Indian Cheese) Croutons and Turmeric Oil, Sweet and Sour Butternut Squash---Zucca in Agrodolce, Carrot Soup Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Enchilada Recipes, Tomato Soup Recipes, Vegetable Soup Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes