- Vegetable oil, for sauteeing
- 1 cup peeled, diced eggplant
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup diced tasso ham
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup diced plantains
- 1 habanero pepper, finely diced, seeds removed*
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme leaves
- 1 pinch allspice
- 6 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, including tender stems
- 1 tablespoon crystal hot sauce
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- Salt and pepper
* Wear gloves when dealing with habaneros as they are extremely hot.
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan and heat over medium. Add the eggplant, bell peppers, onion, tasso, garlic, coriander, plantains, and habanero pepper and saute until vegetables are translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add the chicken stock, bring to a simmer and cook, for 10 to 15 minutes over low heat. Season with thyme and allspice. Add unsweetened coconut milk, spinach, chopped cilantro, and hot sauce. Simmer over medium-low heat and allow to reduce until it thickens, about 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning and add lime juice.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.