Rolled Baklava: Baklava Orthi
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1 (1/8-inch) slice lemon
- 1 (2-inch) stick cinnamon
- 2 cloves, whole
- 1 pound blanched almonds, coarsely ground
- 1 pound walnuts, coarsely ground
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 1/4 pounds unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine the almonds, walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, and ground cloves together in a bowl. Take 4 sheets of phyllo dough and brush each sheet with melted butter, layering the sheets as you go. Once the 4 sheets are pressed together, sprinkle the nut mixture over the top sheet and roll, lengthwise, until you reach the end. Keep the roll as tight as possible without breaking. It should look like a long cylinder.
Cut the roll into 2-inch pieces, dip each into the melted butter and place on a baking sheet. Place into the oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. When finished remove each piece from the pan and dip in the cool syrup and place on a rack to drain. Serve in small cup cake cups on a platter.
Recipe courtesy Cat Cora