Chicken Cacciatore 'Trapeze'
- Chicken and sauce:
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 (8-piece) chicken
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and diced
- 2 cups white mushrooms (6 ounces), cleaned, trimmed and sliced
- 1 (29 to 32-ounce) can crushed red tomatoes in puree
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, plus about 6 small sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme and 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Herbed rice:
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme and 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
Heat the grapeseed oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and sear on all sides. Remove briefly to a utility platter.
To the same saute pan in which the chicken was cooked, add onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms and saute until the onions become translucent. Add tomatoes, parsley, and basil, Italian seasoning, and return the chicken to the saute pan. Cover and let simmer until the chicken is fork tender, about 25 to 35 minutes.For the rice:
Bring chicken stock to a boil. Add rice, salt, butter and Italian seasoning to the pot of boiling chicken stock, return to a boil, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let stand for an additional 5 minutes covered before removing lid.
Place some rice in the middle of a serving dish and top with chicken, vegetables and sauce. Garnish with basil sprigs.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.