- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup New Mexican chili powder
- 16 ounces chicken stock
- 10 ounces tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream, for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Make sauce: In a saucepan heat 3 tablespoons oil, add flour and cook, whisking, 1 minute. Add chili powder and cook 30 seconds. Stir in stock, tomato puree, oregano and cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes until flavors are well-blended. Season to taste with salt.
Combine cheese, chicken and onion for filling. Heat remaining 1/2 cup oil in a skillet until hot. Using tongs dip in tortillas, one at a time, to soften, and drain on paper towels. Dip each tortilla in sauce. On a plate fill with a generous spoonful of filling and roll up; place enchilada seam-side down in a baking dish and repeat until all ingredients are used up. Top with remaining sauce. Bake 30 minutes. To serve, top with sour cream and scallions.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.