- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons green chile powder
- 1 (19-ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 32 ounces canned tomatillos with their liquid
- 1 (7-ounce) can hot salsa verde
- 3 1/2 pounds pork sirloin, cubed
- Lard or oil, as needed, to brown
- 2 cups finely minced onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pressed fresh garlic
- 2 pounds diced green chiles, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups very finely minced mixed fresh green peppers
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
In a small bowl, combine oregano, cumin, and chile powder. In a chili pot, combine enchilada sauce, tomatillos, and salsa verde. Press tomatillos against the side of the pot to crush. Add the oregano mixture to the liquids. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently.
Brown the meat in lard or oil in batches with onions and pressed garlic. Drain meat and add to chili pot. Add diced green chiles. Return pot to simmer.
After 2 hours, add half of finely minced green peppers. Add salt, as desired. Taste and adjust, adding additional minced peppers as desired. After 2 1/2 hours thicken or thin, as needed. After 2 3/4 hours, adjust salt and other seasonings as needed.
Just before serving, add lime juice and cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of Karen Ray 2001 Chili Verde Champion