Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 2 gallons chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pickling spice
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 2 pounds raw beef brisket, cut into 4 equal portions
- 2 heads cabbage, cut into wedges
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 medium Idaho potatoes, cut into wedges
Pour the stock into a large 4-gallon stockpot over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Add the pickling spice, garlic, bay leaves and cloves. Reduce the heat to medium, then add the beef and cabbage simmer until tender, 3 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat a few inches of oil to 325 degrees F in a deep pot.
Fry the potatoes wedges until tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove and season with salt and pepper.
To build the plate, place wedges of cabbage on a plate with corned beef next to it, then add potatoes and finish with 2 to 3 ounces of the cooking broth on top.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine's Eat, Robert Irvine's Nosh