- 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons white vinegar
Melt the butter on low heat, preferably in a double boiler, or, paying close attention, stirring regularly in a pot. Stir in the flour, incorporating it into the butter thoroughly until smooth. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Cook on low-medium heat, stirring regularly, until it reaches a silky, creamy consistency. Whisk in the salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cayenne, nutmeg and cloves. Cook for 5 minutes. Whisk in the vinegar, adding slowly. Cook for another 5 minutes, whisking often.
Cook's Note: This recipe is not difficult, the key is to maintain low heat and pay close attention. Use the sauce to top chicken breast, fish, steak, omelets, vegetables, etc.!
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.