- 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, halved crosswise
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably hot
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 tablespoons store-bought tartar sauce
- 1/4 cup cracker meal or crushed saltines, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons grated peeled ginger
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Put the salmon, 1 tablespoon water, 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a microwave-safe bowl.
Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until the fish is opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Flake with a fork and cool slightly. Stir in 1 tablespoon tartar sauce, the cracker meal, ginger, half of the scallions and the egg. Form into 4 patties and freeze until firm, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 7 tablespoons tartar sauce and 1/2 teaspoon curry powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of the curried tartar sauce with the bell pepper, celery, mango, remaining scallions, lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.
Heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle the patties with cracker meal on both sides and fry until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve with the mango salad and curried tartar sauce.
Per serving: Calories 536; Fat 34 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 112 mg; Sodium 767 mg; Carbohydrate 30 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 27 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos