Old World Vegetable Soup
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons oil or unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup split peas
- 1/2 cup barley
- 8 cups chicken stock, water, or a combo
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup elbow pasta
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen mixed garden vegetables
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped dill leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Saute the onions in oil until lightly browned. Rinse the split peas and barley in water and place in a large pot. Add the chicken stock and water and cook over medium-high heat. until almost tender, about 1 hour. Add the pasta and cook 10 minutes longer. Then add the lima beans and vegetables, cook until the vegetables are tender. Season with dill, salt and pepper.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.