This salad is very lightly dressed, so as not to compete with the strong flavors of the Sate's peanut sauce.
- 4 ounces soba noodles, or whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 large shallot, very thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 red pepper, julienne
- 1/3 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup shredded fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil (or canola oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce, or 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 large Bibb lettuce leaves
Boil noodles according to package directions. Drain and cool. In a medium to large bowl, combine noodles, shallot, carrot, pepper, basil, mint, and cilantro. Combine all dressing ingredients, season with salt to taste, add to noodle mixture, and toss lightly.
Snap off Bibb lettuce leaves and wash and dry. To serve, scoop spoonfuls of noodle salad into the lettuce leaves.
PER SERVING: Calories: 118 ;Total Fat: 3 grams; Saturated Fat: 0.5 gram; Protein: 4 grams; Total carbohydrates: 20 grams; Sugar: 3 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 211 milligrams