- 2 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no salt added diced tomatoes. with juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Brush both sides of each tortilla with oil, using 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cut the tortillas in half, then cut each half into 1/4-inch wide strips. Arrange the strips on a baking sheet, sprinkle with the salt, and bake until crisp and golden, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Heat the remaining 1 teaspoons of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic, jalapeno, cumin, and oregano and cook for 1 minute more. Add the broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
Remove the pan from the heat and puree with an immersion blender or in 2 batches in a regular blender until the soup lightens in color but chunks of tomato remain, about 30 seconds. Serve the soup topped with the tortilla strips, a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Calories: 199; Total Fat: 9 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 8 grams; Total carbohydrates: 22 grams; Sugar: 8 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Cholesterol: 8 milligrams; Sodium: 298 milligrams
Excellent Source of: Vitamin A, Vitamin C
Good Source of: Fiber, Niacin, Phosphorus, Iron, Vitamin K, Protein
2007 Ellie Krieger, All Rights Reserved