Classic Margherita Pizza - New York Style
- Pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 3 cup Tomato Sauce, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into thin rounds
- Cornmeal, for stone
- Special equipment: Pizza stone
- Basic Tomato Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, small dice
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
Place a pizza stone in the oven. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F, allowing the stone to get hot.
Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface into approximately an 8 to 10-inch round and 1/4-inch thick. Ladle the sauce onto the dough and spread it over top, leaving about a 1-inch border around the edge. Top with the tomatoes, oregano, some basil leaves and mozzarella rounds.
Carefully remove the pizza stone from the oven, and dust with the cornmeal. Place the pizza on top of the stone and pop the whole thing in the oven. Bake until crust is golden and the cheese has melted, about 10 minutes.
Cut into wedges and serve immediately.Basic Tomato Sauce:
Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until onions are soft and translucent. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add the basil leaves, red wine, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Cool the sauce before using it to make pizza.
Yield: about 3 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.