Endive Spears with Stilton Cheese, Toasted Pecans, and Sauteed Pears
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 pears, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Stilton cheese, crumbled (or any other blue cheese)
- 25 endive spears
- 1/2 cup pecan halves or 25 pieces, toasted
- Watercress sprigs, for garnish
- 1 cup cream cheese (for presentation)
In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add the butter and sugar. Add the diced pears and cook until well caramelized, approximately 8 minutes.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the garlic, red wine vinegar, salt, fresh ground pepper and olive oil. Add the mixture to the Stilton. Assemble the spears 1 by 1, starting with the cheese then the sauteed pear and topping them off with a toasted pecan. These can be garnished with a sprig of watercress or other herb, if desired. Arrange the spears on a plate by first making a small mound of cream cheese and then sticking each spear into the cream cheese in a floral, 3-dimensional pattern.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Jill Davie
Recipe courtesy of Geoffrey Zakarian