Flo Braker's Tropical Night Brownies
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 ounces El Rey Gran Saman dark chocolate (70 percent cacao) or Scharffen Berger dark chocolate (70 percent cacao), finely chopped
- 3 ounces El Rey Bucare dark chocolate (58.5 percent cacao), finely chopped
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened medium flaked coconut or 1 cup fresh coconut, grated on the medium side of a box grater
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) unsalted roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cacao nibs
Place a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter with the chocolate. Remove from the heat and stir in both sugars. Pour into a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
Add the eggs, rum, and vanilla, stirring just until blended. Stir in the flour and salt, then the coconut, cashews, and cacao nibs.
Spread the batter in a greased 9 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake for 22 minutes. Cool thoroughly before cutting into 16 squares, each about 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 inches.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.