- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, sliced and smashed
- 1 serrano or Thai bird chili, minced with seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Southeast Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 4 dozen large mussels (about 2 1/2 pounds), rinsed and beard removed
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes), plus wedges for garnish
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
Heat the oil a large skillet, with a lid, over medium heat. Add the shallots, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and chili, and stir-fry until golden and aromatic, about 3 minutes. Add the water, fish sauce, and sugar, stir and bring to a simmer. Add the mussels, cover and steam until they open and plump slightly, about 5 minutes.
Discard any mussels that do not open. Stir in the lime juice, cilantro, and mint leaves. Divide the mussels and broth evenly among the bowls. Serve.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.