Balsamic-Marinated Steak and Unstuffed Mushrooms
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens
We decided to top our steak with all the delicious components of a stuffed mushroom, from the crispy, buttery breadcrumbs to the bits of[ savory bacon. Slice any leftover steak thinly and serve in a warm crusty roll with the horseradish sauce for a quick meal.]
- One 2 to 2 1/2-pound 1 1/2-inch-thick London broil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 whole sprigs rosemary plus 1 teaspoon chopped leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 strip bacon, chopped (about 1/2 ounce)
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared drained horseradish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Pierce the meat all over with a fork and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the Worcestershire, vinegar, garlic and whole rosemary. Seal the bag, pushing out all the air. Shake the bag a few times and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat the broiler and line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Broil, flipping once, until the internal temperature reaches 125 degrees F, about 13 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest at least 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon, stirring, until crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Add the breadcrumbs, butter, chopped rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the breadcrumbs are golden brown, another 3 minutes. Set aside.
Stir together the sour cream and horseradish and season with salt and pepper. Slice the steak against the grain, top with the mushrooms and garnish with the chopped parsley. Serve with the horseradish sauce on the side.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.