Bittersweet Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Confectioners' sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 to 3 baking sheets with parchment paper or re-usable baking sheets (silpats).
Whisk the flour, salt, and baking soda together in a medium bowl, and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars with a hand held electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and then the vanilla. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir in the chopped chocolate.
To form the cookies, scoop heaping tablespoons of the dough and roll by hand into balls. Place the balls about 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Flatten the dough slightly with your fingertips. Bake until light brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. (If baking 2 sheets at a time, rotate the pans halfway through baking.) Transfer cookies to a rack to cool. Lightly dust the cookies with confectioners' sugar, if desired.