Brown Rice and Bean Burrito
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Burritos are a great way to introduce vegetables and salads to your kids. It's like eating a hidden salad.
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon shredded Cheddar
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 whole wheat 8-inch tortilla
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added canned black beans
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced or shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon mild jarred salsa
Mash the avocado and lime juice together in a small bowl with a fork until it becomes a spreadable consistency.
Lay the tortilla out on a cutting board. Spread the mashed avocado on the tortilla, leaving a 1-inch outer border without any avocado. In the bottom third of the tortilla, lay out in a log shape the rice, beans, carrots and salsa. Roll over once tightly, then tuck in the sides and continue rolling. The avocado should help the burrito stay together. Cut in half. Wrap in a paper towel, followed by a layer of aluminum foil. Serve at room temperature.
Per serving: Calories 300; Fat 12 g (Saturated 3.5 g); Cholesterol 5 mg; Sodium 500 mg; Carbohydrate 43 g; Protein 9 g; Fiber 8 g; Sugars 2 g
From Food Network Kitchens