Cajun Stuffed Peppers
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 2 large green bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 pound andouille sausage, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Large pinch of allspice (optional)
- Kosher salt
- 1 14 -ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 small bunch kale, stems removed, leaves chopped
- Chopped fresh parsley, for topping (optional)
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil; add the brown rice and boil 10 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and cook until both grains are tender, about 15 more minutes. Drain well and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, garlic, thyme, allspice and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the sausage is brown and crisp, about 3 more minutes.
Add the tomatoes and 1 cup water to the pan. Pile the kale on top, cover and cook until the kale wilts, about 2 minutes. Stir the kale into the sauce and bring to a simmer. Arrange the bell peppers on top, cover and simmer until the kale is just tender, about 8 minutes.
Divide the peppers among plates. Stir the grains into the kale mixture and season with salt. Spoon into the peppers. Top with parsley.
Per serving: Calories 475; Fat 16 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 19 mg; Sodium 773 mg; Carbohydrate 68 g; Fiber 9 g; Protein 18 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.