Chicken and Rice Paprikash Casserole
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
From Food Network Kitchens
Chicken paprikash becomes a one-dish dinner in this casserole. Bell peppers aren't traditional, but they add a lot of vitamin C to the dish[ and natural sweetness. The brown rice soaks up the sauce and becomes incredibly rich and satisfying, but maintains a nice chew.]
- 2 pounds bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups frozen brown rice, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the chicken in a 3-quart glass or ceramic baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until just cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions, bell peppers and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. If the mixture becomes too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. Stir in the sweet and hot paprika and cook for 1 minute; add the tomato paste and cook another minute, stirring. Add the chicken broth and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a plate. Spread the rice in the bottom of the casserole dish and top with the chicken and its accumulated juices. Pour the sauce over the whole mixture. Bake until the casserole is heated through and the top is browned lightly, 40 minutes. Top with the chopped parsley and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
For freezing and reheating, allow the casserole to cool completely. Divide into 6 even portions and store in a freezer-safe resealable plastic bag or container. Transfer to a microwave-safe plate, loosely cover with plastic wrap and microwave until hot, 4 to 5 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.