Chicken with Creamy Mushrooms and Snap Peas
- 4 chicken cutlets (about 1 1/4 pounds), patted dry
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms (button, cremini, shiitake or a combination), quartered
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, stemmed and halved lengthwise
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Dredge 2 chicken cutlets in flour, shake off any excess and place in the skillet. Cook until golden, about 1 1/2 minutes per side; transfer to a baking dish. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the other 2 chicken cutlets. Cover the dish loosely with foil; place in the oven while you prepare the vegetables.
Add the butter to the hot skillet, then add the scallions and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms brown, about 4 minutes. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the cream and boil until the sauce thickens slightly, 3 to 4 more minutes. Stir in the snap peas and heat through; season with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken topped with the creamy vegetables.
Photography by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine