Chipotle Chili Cheese Dogs
- 2 strips bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 15 -ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 .5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce, plus more for serving (optional)
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- 4 foot-long hot dogs
- 4 soft hoagie rolls, split open
- 4 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- Sliced scallions and/or sour cream for topping (optional)
Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until slightly crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion, chili powder and cumin and cook until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the ketchup and cook until it is slightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, hot sauce and 1 cup water, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.
Sprinkle the inside of each roll with cheese, then add a hot dog, some of the bean mixture and more cheese. Top with scallions, sour cream and/or hot sauce, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 1,079; Fat 57 g (Saturated 21 g); Cholesterol 113 mg; Sodium 2,678 mg; Carbohydrate 97 g; Fiber 11 g; Protein 41 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.