Classic Caesar Salad
- 3 to 5 anchovies packed in oil, drained
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/3 baguette, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Soak the anchovies in a bowl of water, 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry, then finely chop and mash to form a paste; set aside.
Make the croutons: Combine the butter with the garlic in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; cook, swirling the pan occasionally, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour into a medium bowl. Add the bread cubes and parsley and toss; season with salt and pepper. Arrange the bread on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes; let cool.
Meanwhile, make the dressing: Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Gently lower the egg into the water, then immediately remove the pan from the heat and let stand 5 minutes. Drain and rinse the egg under cold water; crack into a large bowl. Whisk in the anchovy paste, the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and mustard powder until smooth. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified; season with salt and pepper.
Add the lettuce, croutons and about one-third of the parmesan to the bowl with the dressing and gently toss. Divide among plates and top with the remaining parmesan.
Photograph by Johnny Miller
More Recipes and Ideas:
Thank you! your flag was submitted.