Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, quartered
- 3 medium carrots, quartered
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, halved
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1/4 medium head)
- 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 pound corned beef, cut into thin strips (use leftovers or deli meat)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Pulse the onion, celery and carrots in a food processor until they are pea-size pieces. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, celery and carrots and the allspice and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes to the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer the tomatoes to the pot and add the beef broth, cabbage, potatoes, barley and 4 cups water; cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the potatoes and barley are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the corned beef and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: Calories 352; Fat 11 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 38 mg; Sodium 349 mg; Carbohydrate 50 g; Fiber 9 g; Protein 16 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.