- 2 14 .5-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 4 scallions (white and light green parts only), chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup pickled cherry or jalapeno peppers, chopped, plus 2 tablespoons brine from the jar
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup plain 2 percent Greek yogurt
- Kosher salt
- 1 6 -ounce bag mixed salad greens
- 2 tomatoes (1 chopped, 1 sliced)
- 4 whole-wheat sandwich thins, lightly toasted
Pulse the chickpeas, garlic, half each of the scallions, cilantro and pickled peppers, the panko and cumin in a food processor until smooth, about 3 minutes. Form into 4 thin 3-inch patties.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook until a golden crust forms, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, whisk the yogurt with the pickled pepper brine in a medium bowl and season with salt. Toss the salad greens, chopped tomato and the remaining scallions and cilantro with half of the yogurt dressing in a large bowl.
Put the falafel patties on the sandwich thins; top with the sliced tomato and the remaining yogurt dressing and pickled peppers. Serve with the salad.
Per serving: Calories 481; Fat 15 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 3 mg; Sodium 453 mg; Carbohydrate 66 g; Fiber 13 g; Protein 21 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Thank you! your flag was submitted.