French Dip Sandwiches
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon horseradish, plus more to taste
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced roast beef
- 4 hoagie rolls, split
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; reserve the skillet.
Layer half of the cheese, then the roast beef, onion and the remaining cheese on the rolls. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches and top with a heavy skillet. Cook, pressing down on the top skillet to flatten the sandwiches, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese melts, about 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 2 sandwiches. Serve with the dip.
Per serving: Calories 675; Fat 37 g (Saturated 20 g); Cholesterol 142 mg; Sodium 989 mg; Carbohydrate 39 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 46 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine