Fried Chicken Liver Pitas with Red Onion Marmalade and Watercress
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2011 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- 3/4 pound cleaned chicken livers
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 5 mini pita breads
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Watercress, for serving
1. Place the chicken livers in bowl with the buttermilk. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Saute the red onions in 3 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Add the sugar and balsamic and cook until the balsamic is reduced by half and is a paste-like consistency, about 4 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
3. Heat the mini pitas over a grill or a burner for 10 seconds per side. Cut into wedges and set aside.
4. Heat canola oil in a deep-fat fryer to 350 degrees F. Combine the flour, cornmeal, cayenne, baking soda, and some salt and pepper in a shallow bowl or pie plate. In batches, remove the chicken livers from the buttermilk and dredge in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess flour. Gently add the livers to the fryer and cook 1 1/2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.
5. Place 1 tablespoon onion marmalade on a wedge of pita, then top with watercress leaves and a chicken liver.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.