General Tso's Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1- by 4-inch strips
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ounces crispy rice cereal, such as Rice Chex, finely ground (rounded 1/2 cup)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cloves garlic, cracked
- 2 ginger coins, cracked
- 2 dried red chiles, broken in half
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 10 ounces)
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, for serving
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Toss the chicken in a bowl with the egg white and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let sit covered for 10 minutes. Mix 2 teaspoons vegetable oil into the ground rice cereal, rubbing it in with your fingers. Dredge the chicken strips in the cereal. Place the coated strips in one layer on a rack set in a baking sheet and coat lightly with the nonstick cooking spray. Bake until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes, then cut into large bite-size pieces.
Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and dried chiles. Stir for a couple of minutes, then add the chicken broth, soy sauce, agave and vinegar. Mix the corn starch with 3 tablespoons water, and whisk into the sauce. Simmer gently for 8 to 10 minutes. The sauce should be thick, but pourable. Keep warm.
Per serving: Calories 540; Fat 12 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 65 mg; Sodium 980 mg; Carbohydrate 73 g; Protein 35 g; Fiber 7 g; Sugars 10 g
Thank you! your flag was submitted.