Grilled Chicken with Spelt, Pear and Watercress Salad
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
This well-balanced meal has it all!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus oil for brushing
- 1 cup whole wheat spelt berries
- Four 6- to 7-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 firm, but ripe eating pears such as Anjou, Bartlett or Comice, cored
- 1/4 bulb fennel
- 2 bunches watercress, stems trimmed (about 6 cups)
- One 2- to 3-ounce piece Gruyere or aged Gouda
Preheat the grill to medium heat and brush some oil onto the grates.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the spelt and return to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the berries are tender but not mushy, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Sprinkle the chicken all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Grill until nicely marked and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, 18 to 20 minutes. Set aside to rest.
Put the lemon juice in medium bowl. Thinly slice the pears and the fennel lengthwise with a mandoline into the bowl. Toss with the lemon juice. Add the spelt, watercress and oil . Toss to dress evenly. Season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and some pepper.
Per serving: Calories 590; Fat 22 g (Saturated 6 g, 9 percent); Cholesterol 135 mg; Sodium 730 mg; Carbohydrate 50 g; Protein 50 g; Fiber 9 g; Sugars 12 g
From Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse