Grilled Pork Lettuce Wraps
- For the Pork:
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lemongrass
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds thin boneless pork chops
- For the Sauce and Fixings:
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon Asian chile sauce, such as sambal oelek
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 1/2 bunch mint
- 1/2 bunch basil
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup prepared fried shallots, scallions or onions
- 1 bag Asian shrimp chips
Prepare the pork: Mash the garlic into a paste with the flat side of a knife. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the lemongrass, shallots, brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, vegetable oil and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the pork and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
Make the sauce: Whisk the lime juice, fish sauce, granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. Stir in the carrot, chile sauce and garlic.
Preheat a grill to high. Brush the grill with vegetable oil. Remove the pork from the marinade and grill until well marked, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes, then cut into strips. Arrange the pork and lettuce on a platter; set out the herbs, cucumber, jalapeno and fried shallots for fixings. Assemble the lettuce wraps and serve with the carrot sauce and shrimp chips.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.