Mushroom and Ham Po'Boy
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup Peppadew peppers, halved, plus 1 tablespoon brine from the jar
- 1 tablespoon Creole or whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 hero rolls, split and partially hollowed out
- Pure olive oil or a blend of extra-virgin olive oil and vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups instant flour (such as Wondra)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 medium red onions, very thinly sliced
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 pound sliced ham or capicola
Heat 1 1/2 inches olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Whisk the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs and 2 tablespoons water in another bowl.
Toss the mushrooms in the flour, dip in the egg mixture and toss again in the flour; fry in batches until golden, about 2 minutes. Drain on the baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Fill the rolls with the ham, Peppadew peppers, and fried onions and mushrooms.
Per serving: Calories 862; Fat 57 g (Saturated 9 g); Cholesterol 201 mg; Sodium 1,769 mg; Carbohydrate 64 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 25 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.