Mussels With Tomatoes and Salami
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound salami, thinly sliced and cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 4 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil
- Crusty bread, for serving (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, salami, fennel seeds and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the garlic is just golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add the wine, tomatoes, 1/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt and bring to a simmer.
Add the mussels, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are wide open and look plump on the inside, 6 to 9 minutes. Discard any mussels that haven't opened after 10 minutes. Stir in the basil. Serve with bread.
Per serving: Calories 655; Fat 30 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 29 mg; Sodium 1,981 mg; Carbohydrate 24 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 61 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.