- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage (preferably without fennel seeds), casings removed
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni, halved (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, undisturbed, until browned on one side, then stir and continue cooking until browned on the other side, about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the pepperoni and oregano and cook until the pepperoni is crisp around the edges, about 1 minute. Stir in the pizza sauce and reserved mushrooms. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 more minutes.
Warm the tortillas as the label directs. Divide the sausage mixture among the tortillas. Top with the mozzarella, ricotta and basil.
Photograph by Charles Masters
Thank you! your flag was submitted.