Rigatoni with Spicy Shrimp
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces mezzi rigatoni (or other short pasta)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium shallot or 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 -ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp in a single layer and season with 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. Cook until just pink, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook until no longer translucent,1 to 2 more minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add the shallot to the skillet and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, half of the basil, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and cook 1 more minute.
Per serving: Calories 490; Fat 9 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 178 mg; Sodium 481 mg; Carbohydrate 68 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 31 g
Photograph by Justin Walker