- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 medium shallots (or 1 small red onion), finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro, plus whole leaves for topping
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, plus more for topping
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, plus more for the buns
- 4 potato buns, split and toasted
- Potato chips, for serving (optional)
Combine the cider, apples, 2 shallots, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1 teaspoon curry powder, and salt and pepper to taste in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook until the liquid evaporates, about 12 minutes; let cool slightly. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro.
Meanwhile, pulse three-quarters of the salmon in a food processor until finely ground. Add the remaining salmon; pulse until chopped. Transfer to a bowl; stir in the panko, mayonnaise and the remaining shallot, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1 tablespoon vinegar and 2 teaspoons curry powder. Add salt and pepper. Form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook until browned and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Butter the buns and sandwich with the salmon burgers, mayonnaise, the apple relish and more cilantro. Serve with chips.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Tom Pizzica