Semolina Bread-Apple Stuffing With Dried Cranberries and Apricots
- Semolina bread
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onions, leeks or scallions
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or turkey broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Apples, cut into small chunks and sauteed in butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped if large
Chop the semolina bread into 1/2-inch cubes to make 16 cups. Stale bread works best for stuffing-if yours is fresh, spread out the cubes on baking sheet and dry in a 300 degrees F oven, 15 to 20 minutes.
Heat 1 stick butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, sage, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth; bring to a simmer and remove from the heat.
Beat the eggs and parsley in a large bowl; stir in the bread cubes, the vegetable-broth mixture, the prepared apples, dried cranberries and apricots.
Transfer the mixture to a buttered 3-to-4-quart baking dish and dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F, 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden, about 20 more minutes.
Photograph by Yunhee Kim
Thank you! your flag was submitted.