Shrimp Scampi with Garlic Toasts
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 8 1/2 -inch-thick slices crusty bread
- 1 1/4 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or low-sodium chicken broth
- Grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
Preheat the broiler. Heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the red pepper flakes and cook 1 to 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Brush both sides of the bread with some of the garlic mixture and arrange on a baking sheet. Broil the bread until toasted, about 1 minute per side. Divide the bread among 4 bowls.
Place the skillet with the remaining garlic mixture over high heat. Add the shrimp and toss to coat, then stir in the wine and lemon zest and juice. Transfer to the broiler and cook until the shrimp are pink, about 3 minutes. Transfer the shrimp with a slotted spoon to the bowls.
Return the skillet to high heat and boil the cooking liquid until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley and chives. Whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and simmer 1 to 2 more minutes; pour over the shrimp. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: Calories 578; Fat 22 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 299 mg; Sodium 963 mg; Carbohydrate 44 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 38 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.