Slow-Cooker Barbecue Beans and Sausage
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons honey mustard
- 2 tablespoons barbecue seasoning blend
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound dry navy beans, rinsed and picked over
- 2 cloves
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken-apple sausages, each halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Pickled peppers, sliced scallions and/or sour cream, for garnish (optional)
Whisk the broth, 3 cups water, tomato paste, brown sugar, molasses, mustard, barbecue seasoning and garlic in a slow cooker. Add the beans. Push a clove into each onion half; tuck the onions and sausages into the beans in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until the beans are tender, about 6 hours.
Discard the onion halves. Stir in the vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, then let the mixture sit, uncovered, about 15 minutes. (The longer the beans sit, the more flavorful they will be.) Garnish with pickled peppers, scallions and/or sour cream, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 549; Fat 11 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 102 mg; Sodium 1,796 mg; Carbohydrate 75 g; Fiber 20 g; Protein 38 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.