Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens
Curry powder is the secret ingredient in this easy slow-cooked soup. It adds to the depth of flavor and turns the soup golden yellow. Be[ generous with the cheese!]
- 3 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, skinned and excess fat trimmed (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 3 medium parsnips, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 2 -inch piece Parmesan rind
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh dill fronds, chopped (about 1 small bunch)
- Grated Parmesan and lemon, for serving
Combine the chicken breasts, chicken broth, 2 cups of water, carrots, parsnips, celery, onions, Parmesan rind, curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper in the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove the chicken breasts. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat (discard the bones) and add back to the soup; add the peas and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve in soup bowls with a sprinkle of Parmesan and a squeeze of lemon.
Copyright 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Thank you! your flag was submitted.