Spaghetti with Pancetta and Chickpeas
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 3 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 15 -ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped (about 1 cup loosely packed)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or grana padano cheese (about 2 ounces), plus more for topping
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, cook the pancetta in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Add the olive oil, garlic and jalapeno to the skillet with the pancetta drippings and cook until the garlic softens, about 1 minute. Add the chickpeas and cook, lightly smashing them with the back of a spoon, until slightly golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Add the pasta, pancetta and parmesan to the skillet along with the reserved cooking water; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls, drizzle with more olive oil and top with more parmesan.
Per serving: Calories 743; Fat 33 g (Saturated 10 g); Cholesterol 42 mg; Sodium 370 mg; Carbohydrate 83 g; Fiber 8 g; Protein 27 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.