Spaghetti with Red Clam Sauce
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 20 min
- 30 min
- 4 to 6 servings
- Three 6 1/2-ounce cans minced or whole clams
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more to taste
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes packed in juice, drained, and chopped
- 1 pound dry spaghetti or linguini
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Drain the clams reserving 1/2 cup of their juice and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until softened, but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add the pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the reserved clam juice and tomatoes, increase the heat and bring to a boil. Cover, and lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cook for 15 minutes. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat, salt generously. Cook the pasta until al dente, tender yet still slightly firm. During the last 5 minutes of cooking the pasta stir the clams, basil, and parsley into the sauce. Bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce and toss to combine evenly. Divide among warmed bowls and serve.