Steamed Vegetables With Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 small kabocha or buttercup squash (about 2 pounds), seeded and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- 1/2 head cauliflower, sliced into florets
- 1 2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 4 cups snow peas (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 15 -ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cooked brown rice, for serving (optional)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Place the squash, cauliflower and ginger in a large steamer basket over a saucepan of simmering water and season with salt. Cover and steam until the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Add the snow peas, remove the pan from the heat and keep covered until the peas are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, toast the coriander seeds in a skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the sesame oil and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the chickpeas and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the butter and scallions; remove from the heat.
Divide the vegetables among plates, over rice if desired. Spoon the chickpea mixture on top and garnish with the mint and sesame seeds.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos