Super Food Spinach Salad with Pomegranate-Glazed Walnuts
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- One 5-ounce container baby spinach
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced, about 1 cup
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil
Combine 1/4 cup juice with the sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small nonstick skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reduces slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the walnuts and continue to cook, stirring, until the nuts are coated and dark and the liquid evaporates in the skillet, about another 5 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet to cool. When cool, break apart with your hands.
Meanwhile, soak the red onion in ice water for about 10 minutes; drain and pat dry. Place the baby spinach in a serving bowl and top with the onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and walnuts. In a bowl whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons juice with the vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and then whisk in the oil. Drizzle over the salad and toss just before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy of Katie Lee
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee